Wednesday, August 17, 2005

 

What do you think?

I have a question that I need an answer or opinion on. This not some trick I really want to know. Ok here it is.

How can you tell what is coming from a persons conscience or the Holy Spirit?

Comments:
I am presently of the opinion it is impossible for us to know that. We can know others by their “fruit” but this does not give us an indication that what they are saying at any given moment is by revelation of the Spirit or by virtue of their own understanding. This would require an intimate knowledge of their personal relationship with God. I am not however closed on this or any other matter of faith and would welcome scriptural evidence to the contrary.
 
I understand what you are saying kc. I am trying understand in my own personal life what is actually my conscience compared to the Holy Spirit. I know some things but I feel that there are times when I don't really know.
 
I understand now and totally sympathize. This is what I call the conflict between head and heart. The Holy Spirit reveals what is True in our heart but often it conflicts with our understanding. Then there’s the situation where we feel so passionate about something that we literally “take it to heart” in which case any revelation is hindered. Remember how you came to the knowledge of Jesus as savior? For me it was like a light bulb coming on. I didn’t understand it at all. I just knew in my heart that Jesus is the Son of God and savior. I call that revelation and to be honest I’ve only had that type of knowledge a few times. Then there are those times when scripture comes alive in my mind. Passages I’ve read or even studied a thousand times suddenly become perfectly clear, almost like an epiphany. At other times my heart is heavy. It really feels like a burden and I can’t turn my mind away from what is on my heart. I attribute that to His Spirit because I know that my nature is to turn from God, not to Him. I’ve found that the only relief I have is to give in to whatever is bothering me, whether it is to do something, or to stop doing something. I have not found any scripture that gives me any specific understanding on this. That doesn’t concern me anymore. I have concluded that specific knowledge would negate living by faith, which is required of those who are just. Brother I hope this in some way helps but be sure my prayers will follow.
 
Thanks for letting me know about your situations concerning this kc.
I hope others would give me their ideas or experiences also.
 
I really do not know how to answer this questin without further investigating it.

However, I can say that there is a way that you can tell when something is from the conscience and NOT from the Spirit. If this thing does conflict with Scripture; it is definately not from the Spirit.

I know that only helps in certain situations and for certain things, but it is all I have on this whim of mine right now.
 
Thanks, Adam, for your imput.
 
Kris,

Honestly, I believe that it will simply witness in your spirit. It gets complicated trying to "figure it out." When someone tells me "God is saying this" or "God is telling me to do that," I have no argument with that and I leave it alone. If someone prophesies, then I simply let them know that if God said it, it will come to pass. That will be the proof of their statement. Sometimes we look for a spiritual answer when a practical response will do, other times we seek an answer from man when it is really a Word from the Lord that we need. The best piece of wisdom I have is to do what you can to stay in His presence. By doing that, we can better judge what is from the Spirit and what is from the flesh.
 
Thank you all for your comments. I read alot in the bible and commentaries and alot of bible teachers books. I think I have to learn to watch out for my concience because it can use what I put in my mind from bible teachers and others opinions that may not be right according to scripture and burden me down with undue guilt at times. I want to be careful though and not use this to get out of obeying God according to my concience either. Does this make sense?
 
Kris,

I appreciate your openness. I need some help from you, as well. I have posted a question on my blog today, and would like to hear feedback from others. Regarding your concern about being careful, I can only say there are some things you must learn by doing. Whatever you do, do it by faith. Remember, any thing that is not of faith is sin, and even if it does not turn out how you envisioned, remember God works all things together for good for them that love Him.
 
Kris the comments on this blog item seem to have finished and I was wondering; have you settled this matter for yourself or made any other observation?
 
Kc,
Not really. I am learning though. I think what I thought was the Holy Spirit at times is really me or my belief system about things. Jesus said the He would send the "comforter" which is the Holy Spirit, to guide me into all truth.

I am not ready to say the Holy Spirit will not make me uncomfortable just yet though. I have more to work out here. But if Jesus said the Holy Spirit is the comforter then I need to be open to believe that is just what He is.
So alot of the condemning "voices" I feel is probably me filtering through my belief system in who God really is. Does this make sense kc. Do you have anymore insight or experience?

Thanks for bringing this back up.
 
Honestly this is where I think our faith gets shaped. I can appreciate your perspective regarding the Holy Spirit as comforter though. I guess we'll keep praying and studying. ;-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives